Thursday 12 February 2009

BSF or DSF

It's not often I feel disappointed to be starting something new, but today I am. In two weeks time I'll be working my last day as a Teaching and Learning Assistant Level 2 at Beardwood Humanities College in Blackburn and three days later I will be starting at a new school. I've not worked there for too long but I've developed a real appreciation and respect for the school and for those that work and attend the school; I love the job and have a hell of a lot of time for the kids that I work with.
Unfortunately the powers that be have decided that this little old school no longer fits the criteria that befits a multicultural society. You see Beardwood is a mainly Muslim school, at least 95%, and the Powers That Be have decided that they should merge Beardwood with a mainly white school, Blakewater College, to form the new Blackburn Academy. All well and good in a perfect world, but this is not a perfect world.
Another reason why the decision has been made to close Beardwood is because "falling pupil numbers", what a load of rubbish. Pupil numbers only started to decline at rapid rate after the announcement was made that the school was going to close, I mean who in their right mind would send their child that was going to school when their child was in year 10?
Building Schools for the Future, like many other government decisions is based in good will, but has fallen down drastically, the fallout of BSF in Burnley has resulted in the Police being called to some of the merged schools to separate fighting gangs, whose allegiance is still aligned to their old school. As far as I am concerned they are building schools, they are destroying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment